Reports indicate that seven Republican contenders have so far likely qualified for the upcoming second Republican presidential debate scheduled for September 27, though the front-runner, former President Trump, is expected to skip it in favor of giving a prime-time speech while meeting with striking autoworkers in Michigan.
Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC), businessman Vivek Ramaswamy, former Governor Nikki Haley (R-SC), former Vice President Mike Pence, former Governor Chris Christe (R-NJ), and Governor Ron DeSantis (R-FL) are expected to participate in the debate stage held at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, which is located in California, this week.
Navarro says that these candidates, who all took part in the first discussion, “are most likely to have” passed the more strict polling and donor standards of the Republican National Committee. Governor Doug Burgum (R-ND) along with former Governor Asa Hutchinson (R-AR), who were also in Milwaukee in August, haven’t yet met the standard and are on track to come up short, as reported in an earlier story by Tim Reid of Reuters.
To be eligible, a candidate must get at least 3% in two national polls or at least 3% in one national poll plus 3% in two of the very first four states where early voting starts. The study must also be done after August 1, and contenders have until 48 hours prior to the debate to show the RNC that they met the requirements.
Real Clear Politics (RCP) says that from August 1 to September 15, Burgum and Hutchinson each got an average of 2% of the national vote. Notably, the RCP average includes polling that doesn’t meet the RNC’s standards for the number of respondents. However, the number gives a general idea of how well they did during the relevant time period.
To take part, candidates must also have at least 50,000 individual donors, which is 10,000 more than they needed for the first discussion. Reid said that Burgum and Hutchinson are probably not going to meet this requirement.
Breitbart News received confirmation this week from a number of sources that Trump is scheduled to speak with United Auto Workers members near Detroit, Michigan, who are currently on strike against Ford, General Motors, and Stellantis, the Big Three automobile makers, during the presidential debate. The New York Times says he will give a “prime-time address before present and former union members.”
The approach is similar to his counterprogramming from the first debate, which featured a 45-minute discussion between Trump and Tucker Carlson appearing on the host’s show of the same name on Twitter. The interview was posted just before the debate and quickly gained popularity.
Breitbart News stated that the third debate is scheduled to occur in November in Miami, Florida.